Geek Squad Desktop Computer Repair Review from New Freedom, Pennsylvania
My lonova all in one sc540 stopped working only having it for approx.three years and with a limited amount of use.
We purchased it from best, so we trusted them to take a look at it to see if it was something worth fixing. It was approx 14 days until we got the report of it needing a new hard drive, mother board and Sata cable. This repair was going to cost us around $530. Plus the $35 paid for them to look at it.
Being that it cost that much, and we didn't have the money to put into it, we refused to have it repaired and to have it sent back. Geek Squad had asked if we wanted to recycle the computer through them and we refused. We spoke to my cousins husband that does IT for a living, he said maybe it was the just the Sata cable? I figured Best Buy/ Geek Squad were trust worthy enough to not attempt any foolish acts to rip off customers.
For *** and giggles, I decided to take it apart. I'm not computer genius, I do however have a background in many building trades. I removed the back cover and looked around I could smell the electrical smell as if something had shorted out. First I thought it was the hard drive.
So I looked it up to see how much that was? It ranged from $50+ on up. I decided to pug it in and power it on. It made a crackling sound out of speakers and had the burning smell.
By process of elimination from removing the plugins into the mother board until the speaker crackling stoped I traced it to the Sata cable. Unplugging it from the mother board I traced it back to where it plugged into the hard drive. Removing the hard drive to remove the cable from the mounting bracket I found that the cable had shorted out and was arching. Having a feeling that I was almost taken for a ride really upset me and I had to get to the bottom of it.
I ordered they cable shown from eBay , installed it in the sc540. Instantly fixing the computer for less then $50 when quoting $530. Someone has some explaining to do! I will file with the BBB this is U exceptable!!
I also will be filing a complaint with Bedt Buy!If they don't have a good explanation, or compensate us for their huge mistake or most likely not a mistake it will be the last I will do business with them.
More Review Details
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "This is for you MR. LOL; your social engineering will not work. Are you a part of this global cyber gang? Hackers who are part of this FakeCD99 gang all..."
- "I bought a Lenovo Ideapad U530 Touch laptop from Bestbuy Long Island store. After 6 months, the hinge broke off from the lid, taking a chunk of the casing screwed..."
- "I made an order of 270$ After one day, they delete my order without any appreciable reason, and without a way of replying them. And they wrote me "you will get..."
- "i had ordered for magnetic iphone cable through facebook ad and got linked to shopify for order. I used my credit card for fulfilling the payment and amount of $14.95..."
- "I purchased a small canvas emergency pouch last November it was intended to hold personal items, medication, a torch and batteries things for an emergency. When it did not appear..."
- "I Shashikant bhange had bought Skechers shoe go walk 3 on 16/03/2016 from Inc 5 store in Vimannagar pune.I used another spare shoes in rainy months. After that I used..."
- "What $99 Special? Quote tool tells me it's under their $100 minimum. What a joke! A call to their 800 number was useless - calltaker had no knowledge of..."
- "I went to an online chat with one of their tech. reps. after about an hour of looking for the answer through Google and Microsoft's tips/help section, for a problem..."
- "Logging on to a familiar site, I was offered a skin cream to try for a FREE trial ($4.95 s&h only). In 2 weeks a charge for $98 appeared on..."