Geek Squad Desktop Computer Repair Review from New Freedom, Pennsylvania

25 of 363 Geek Squad reviews

My lonova all in one sc540 stopped working only having it for approx.three years and with a limited amount of use.

We purchased it from best, so we trusted them to take a look at it to see if it was something worth fixing. It was approx 14 days until we got the report of it needing a new hard drive, mother board and Sata cable. This repair was going to cost us around $530. Plus the $35 paid for them to look at it.

Being that it cost that much, and we didn't have the money to put into it, we refused to have it repaired and to have it sent back. Geek Squad had asked if we wanted to recycle the computer through them and we refused. We spoke to my cousins husband that does IT for a living, he said maybe it was the just the Sata cable? I figured Best Buy/ Geek Squad were trust worthy enough to not attempt any foolish acts to rip off customers.

For *** and giggles, I decided to take it apart. I'm not computer genius, I do however have a background in many building trades. I removed the back cover and looked around I could smell the electrical smell as if something had shorted out. First I thought it was the hard drive.

So I looked it up to see how much that was? It ranged from $50+ on up. I decided to pug it in and power it on. It made a crackling sound out of speakers and had the burning smell.

By process of elimination from removing the plugins into the mother board until the speaker crackling stoped I traced it to the Sata cable. Unplugging it from the mother board I traced it back to where it plugged into the hard drive. Removing the hard drive to remove the cable from the mounting bracket I found that the cable had shorted out and was arching. Having a feeling that I was almost taken for a ride really upset me and I had to get to the bottom of it.

I ordered they cable shown from eBay , installed it in the sc540. Instantly fixing the computer for less then $50 when quoting $530. Someone has some explaining to do! I will file with the BBB this is U exceptable!!

I also will be filing a complaint with Bedt Buy!If they don't have a good explanation, or compensate us for their huge mistake or most likely not a mistake it will be the last I will do business with them.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Geek Squad Desktop Computer Repair
Review category
Computers
review #902708

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Geek Squad? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
25 of 363 Geek Squad reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Geek Squad. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Geek Squad.
Filing a new complaint about
×