I have had a Geek Squad contract for almost a year and have used it very seldom. Today I made an appointment to bring in my GE digital camera which I could not get to turn on.

The rep showed very little interest in my problem and said that the battery compartments looked corroded and that was the problem, yet this was his quick assessment and spent very little time in looking at the camera. He said that they did not do repair work on cameras in house and would have to send it out.....so? I asked him if that was covered in my agreement.

He said yes, but if it would be sent out to the warehouse, they would probably return it marked as unrepairable.

He did not want to do this, and he said he could recycle it for me......!

I told him I was very dissatisfied with his service. He said nothing and went to the next customer.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Unprofessional.

Comments

h.kitchener

Sounds like the guy was just giving you an honest opinion of the problem---corrosion from a leaking battery---and what would happen if you sent the camera in for repair. Just buy a new camera, forget about wasting money on these "extended warranty" or whatever they call the scam. And, of course do check the status and condition of batteries in your camera from now on more regularly.

to h.kitchener #1505302

Sorry to tell you that you are wrong. The batteries were not leaking, they had some corrosion on them but they had not leaked.

And....when I got home I cleaned the battery compartments again (as I had one before going to Best Buy), and I got the camera to turn on and work!!!! So, the Geek person did not want to be bothered with a mere digital camera.

It was obvious that he just did not spend any time with my problem. He said he was not a camera expert, but offered his "expert" opinion without really spending any time to consider options.