Got Scammed by Best Buy Geek Squad Phone Handset Protection

172 of 363 Geek Squad reviews

I bought a new Samsung Galaxy S5 at the Best Buy in Aventura, FL not more than 3 or 4 months ago. The salesperson sold me on their extended protection plan by Geek Squad and assured me that it was superior to any type of other handset insurance option. He also said that it included nationwide protection, whereas I could literally walk into any Best Buy Geek Squad nationwide and walk out with a replacement handset the same day! I spent $99 for a 1 year protection plan, on top of the $600 I spent on the phone!

The phone has been giving me problems for the past few days so I went to my local Best Buy yesterday and sure enough, everything the salesperson assured me of turned out to be a lie. And the CRAZY thing about it was that the Geek Squad representative I spoke with even acknowledged that the salepeople there have a tendency to lie about the protection plans, thus forcing the Geek Squad people to deal with the aftermath of their lies!

Long story short, they told me to file a claim online and that I would have the replacement soon. Today I found out that, unlike other handset protection plans, Geek Squad ships out handsets by UPS GROUND service. So now I'm stuck with a non-working phone for at least another 4 or 5 days, and this is what I spent $99 on??? I could have stayed with my carrier's coverage for $7 per month and had overnight replacement!

It's just not right, and the fact that their employees even openly acknowledge the sales reps' propensity to mislead customers is completely awful. I got screwed...lesson learned. I will never again shop at Best Buy or use Geek Squad for anything! Shame on you guys...

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Handset Replacement
Review category
Appliances and Electronics
review #632899 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Geek Squad? Submit review ›
Helpful? 4 Yes 4 0 No 0
Had the same issue 3 Yes 3
172 of 363 Geek Squad reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jun 07, 2015 #992270 Hollywood, Florida, United States

It's true, the geek squad protection plans are nothing more than additional revenue streams for Best Buy and offer very minimal added support or assurance for the consumer.

1 1 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.