My mom bought me a computer from Best Buy. Almost a year later, I started having problems with it. First the CD drive broke...it popped out and wouldn't go back in *i forced it in for safety*. I took it to the Geek Squad *mom had bought a 2 year warranty*. The guy looked at it, asked me if I had tried pushing the button to make it come out. Um...yeah. So they took it to fix, had it for a week, and I got it back with an ugly, but working, replacement. A month later, the whole thing started spazzing out...shutting off and on randomly and such. I took it back, and of course it didn't do it there, but they took it to look at it anyway. I called them a week later and the guy told me they hadn't done the diagnostic on it yet, but when they did, they'd call me and let me know what was wrong. I called another week later and they told me they had JUST done the diagnostic and the motherboard was shot and had to be replaced. Since I had the warranty, it was no cost to me. I got my computer back almost 3 months later. It was still messing up really bad, so I took it back and the head Geek told me I just needed a windows boot disk, which he gave me.

I realized that the warranty was expiring, and if they had to fix a computer 3 times in the warranty period they were required to replace it. I also realized that they were stalling to avoid replacing it. I took it to another Best Buy and told them what was wrong and they told me it sounded like the motherboard needed to be replaced. When I told them it WAS replaced...the guy told me he seriously doubted they did.

To make matters worse, I saw my store on an undercover investigation exposing rip-off artists...and that store was the worst of all profiled. I've since ditched my POS computer and warn everyone I meet to NEVER buy a computer from Best Buy!

Comments

It's not cheap to be a dummy and own an expensive/complex electronic system. Be grateful that they exist at all to help you lesser beings.

I can see right now that many of these Geek Squad associates are narcissitic azzholes setting up trumped up charges to make money and take advantage of consumers! I hope that they get shut down soon.

My mom purchased a computer a month ago and the administrator password mysteriously does not work anylonger! She will have to pay $29 to have it recovered. I think that they did something to make the password that she setup inactive so that she would be forced to come back to them and pay more money!

I dont like the thought of them having that kind of control over her computer. Shouldn't the computer (brandnew) come with a recovery disk?

Sounds like you mishandled the laptop. The CD tray "Randomly Broke" then you jammed in back in.

Wow.

My kids aren't getting their own computer until I send them off to college. Motherboards usually don't go bad unless the computer is handled poorly.

Then I bought a laptop and PC from Bestbuy and within a few months of getting my computers my laptop crashed so I had to send it back for a new system (personally, I think the computers systems are second hand when you buy them) then I had to pay $230 dollars for them to fix the PC which froze the moment you started up "but" it seems the PC is still having issues in that regard and I can't even save on word on my PC anymore! I took it in and they claim I have to pay another $230 more!

No way! I didn't go to college because I'm ***. Forget scam artists these are *** artists.

Best Buy will tank because noone likes lousy service, duh! I'm going to find someone local to fix my computer problem.

staples is the dirtiest outfit . beware of thier fake warranties and hp junk