Geek Squad - THEY lost my receipt, repair tracking database is a total liar
Marina, California Best Buy, about July 15th, 2012:
1. 6 months after my computer purchase, my computer wouldn't switch on. I turned it into the local Geeks and they saw my receipt --they stated the repair would probably take two weeks. By performing my own simple data backup I saved myself the $100 they wanted to charge me (if they do the backup and the repair takes more than 30 days your data automatically DISAPPEARS...!).
2. Two weeks passed, and to my surprise the computer came back totally unrepaired, though their tracking datbase clearly claimed it had been. On the phone the local Geeks stated they couldn't do the repair because they doubted I'd bought the computer at Best Buy at all(?!).
3. I drove immedidately to my local Best Buy in Marina California and presented my receipt for the second time. They apoligized and suddenly their story changed --they'd LOST my receipt at their Kentucky repair facility. The local geeks stated they coudn't reach me, they couldn't find the copy they'd made of my receipt, and that by policy their national Kentucky repair experts can't keep a computer there for more than 2 weeks. Therefore they simply sent the computer back, unrepaired. Now....I don't understand WHY the computer needs to be accompanied by the receipt at each stage of the repair, but that's the claim they made....
2 weeks gone, computer criss-crossed the USA, and NO REPAIR. Also none of the repair tracking database entries that I was dutifully tracking corresponded to actual reality, i.e., "hey we didn't repair it..." and/or, "Whoops! We lost the receipt...."
4. Standing there in the store, the 24-ish caucasian blonde geek, "Mallorie" alleged they'd escalate my repair priority and overnight the computer back to Kentucky for repair. The associate wanted me to leave the store, stating she'd begin the paperwork after I left. Already stung once, I instead I stayed to make sure the paperwork was in fact initiated. Mallorie also stated it was not policy to give me any document showing my repair priority had been escalated, appearing annoyed at my request.
While I waited for Mallorie to initiate the paperwork I chatted with another customer, noting before I left that the Geeks had charged her $200 for a very simple virus removal.
5. Checking the Geek Squad tracking database 3 days later, the computer had not overnighted as promised. Indeed it had not been shipped at all. Note I was in a job search, and 18 days had already elapsed after I'd first turned the computer in for repair. I think it's reasonable that my repair priority had also not been escalated.
6. I emailed corporate, politely pointing out the inaction. Shipment was subsequently initiated, their database later showed. Ten MORE days later (we're up to 28 days here, now) it showed, "repair complete, picked up by customer". Puzzled, I called, pointing out I had no computer. Was it stolen?
7. The local Geek Mallorie stated over the phone, "It's a standard notation we make when we close your ticket (?). Our Kentucky facility experts determined that the motherboard failure was owing to water damage, something that is not covered by the 1-year manufacturer's warranty. But we can repair the computer for you for $350. Or we can send it back from Kentucky to you. Then we'll sell you a new computer and passage all your data from your old drive to your new drive for just $99. Also when we sell you a new computer note that for $160 you can buy 2 year coverage from us that would cover the risk of water damage..."
Note --there was NO water damage to the computer that criss-crossed the USA two times with no repair. That is an easy allegation that aims at avoiding responsibility, the same scam they tried to run after they lost my receipt ( we didn't sell you the computer --> sorry we lost the receipt)
I have gone nearly 1 month with no computer with assurances at every step that repair was proceeding smoothly.
1. Geek Squad is not timely in their work
2. Geek Squad doesn't handle paperwork or committments responsibly
3. Geek Squad service charges are very high --their solution for your every problem is apparently for you to pay them very much money
4. If Geek Squad suspects technicals will permit them to ascribe a computer problem to some cause not covered in a warranty, rest assured they will make that claim
5. RETAIN ALL RECEIPTS AND DOCUMENT YOUR COMMUNICATION WITH BEST BUY AND GEEK SQUAD, the better for litigation and/or a report the Better Business Bureau
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Laptop Repair
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "On April 4, 2016 I bought 30 iphone se 64gb from Apple Wholesale Store because of course I have read all of the positive reviews online and also saw the..."
- "It started on the 3rd of FEB 2016. My bios wouldn't update so I call Asus Tech support. I gave them all my info and for 2hrs. I was put..."
- "Bought a 7" RCA tablet (RCT6077W22) back on Friday this last Christmas from Wal-mart and it took only 7 months to die. The battery started to grow slowly. ..."
- "I went to sunoco on sheridan dr and military rd as usually do 2 minutes from my house ,to get breakfast coffe etc i had my 2 yr old with..."
- "https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/26917254 THIS IS FAKE DO NOT FALL FOR THIS ***! Person trying to sell it goes by the name Brianna Linnetti. There is no possible way anyone would sell a..."
- "My wife and I were traveling and attempted to use the tv.xfinity.com feature - unfortunately, after logging in, I kept getting error when trying to play recordings/tv/ondemand/anything - I called..."
- "Had the same thing happen to me in Monterey, CA of all places. They claimed that no one was home, while both my parents were there the whole day and..."
- "Clothing poorly made but I didn't have high expectations. I think for the quality, most items are overpriced. Stitching is off on almost everything. If you look at the dress..."
- "I purchased tickets online and I was unable to return the tickets 1 hour before the show started. The website had an error and it did not allow me to..."